A Day in the Life: Hairdressing Apprentice

Lauren Bright, Level 3 Hairdressing Apprentice, gives us an insight into what her daily life is like working in a busy salon.
My working day starts at 9:15am where I turn up at work with an open column. What I get up to depends on how busy the salon is, and what different types of treatments are scheduled in for the day. 
On this particular morning I had a child’s cut in first thing which I was given half hour to do. I was then assigned a cut and blow dry later on at 10:30, so in between I helped clean the salon. Every stylist had training on retail half way through the day with our manager - learning about the different products we have on sale, sales techniques and how to put them through our till system.

I have a 45 minute lunch break every day and during this time I just relax in the staff room and have my lunch. I then have clients throughout the rest of the day for different services like balayage, root applications and cuts and finishes.

Life as an apprentice is good fun, always busy and you're constantly on your feet learning something different each day. It's a very full on and busy life working in the salon which is great to keep you working hard and busy. It's good to be able to watch other stylists and learn new techniques, especially in a bubbly salon environment where everyone is so passionate about their work.

Being an apprentice on a general day consists of working hard, working as a team and making sure clients are happy. My day normally finishes at 6pm where I go home and enjoy my evening - and get ready to do it all again the next day! 

Subscribe to our blog

New Call-to-action
prospectus download